Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Skull's Day Out

I have been giving private art lessons to a middle school student the last few weeks, and we're working on drawing the human figure.  We've been starting from the skeletal system out, and I knew that the best way to do it would be to have an actual skull from which to work.  Thankfully Keith, the graphic designer and watercolorist at 212, has a skull (named Skully) that he let me borrow.  (It's a plastic skull, thankfully...!)

Skully certainly came in handy for our lesson (drawing it from lots of different angles), but the fun (for me) didn't stop when the lesson was over.  I stuck Skully (and an animal skull Keith had leant me) into a bag, went to grab some lunch, and walked down to 212 from my studio.  I had some fun with photos in the process...  I've been researching skull models now and may need to buy one.  This was just too much fun.  

I had a professor once who said that he hated it when people said that art should be fun, that you don't always have to be having fun when you're creating art.  I disagreed with him - I'm not saying I'm always having fun, but I know that when I'm not, it's time to take a break and/or make a change!  After a frustrating session with a painting earlier this week and some miserable weather yesterday, I needed this fun distraction today!
Skully, ready to be drawn
My "skullfie"...creeeeepy
Skully in my bag - walking down to 212
Skully went with me to get lunch at Detroit Dog Co. Yum!!
Posing with the cemetery across the street
Back at 212
Skully taking a watercolor class






2 comments: