Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Beautiful Oops

As mentioned last Friday, I was able to go back to the school where I used to work and do a brief art lesson with some of the sixth and seventh grade students.  I only had around 45 minutes, so I didn't want to do anything too labor-intensive or that we couldn't finish.  Thankfully I've been teaching art for so many years that art lessons spring into my mind fairly quickly for any situation!

I decided that, despite the fact that they were middle school students, I would share with them a wonderful children's cook by Barney Saltzberg called Beautiful Oops.  The book shows examples of things that might be thought of as mistakes - a torn piece of paper, a drop of paint, a hot chocolate stain - and how they were turned into something beautiful - a drawing of a dog, a rabbit in a car, and a frog.  



Before I went to teach this lesson, I prepared some "oops" papers with scribbles, diet Pepsi circles, tears, etc, and then I had the students choose one of these papers to transform.  I gave them free reign to do with the pages what they wanted.  I then asked them to be prepared to share a story about what was happening in their drawing when they were done.  

Here are some of their drawings: 






I feel like it's easy to make up a story of some kind for each of these drawings, even without knowing what the students' ideas were.

It's harder for adults to let themselves go and just create!  We're too caught up in "reality" - paying bills, working, being a grown-up.  But being creative is so important - it's such a wonderful outlet and way to find clarity and peace.  So, the next time you tear the newspaper, or spill on your to-do list, or leave a coffee stain on a magazine, see how you can make that "oops" into something beautiful, and then share it here with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment