Friday, June 13, 2014

Week 14: Progress

This week was a week of progress!  I finally got the three main characters of the children's book to a point where I am happy with how they look!  (That rhymed!  Nailed it.)  Once I reached that point, I was able to move forward with storyboarding.  It's fun to bring the book to life in this way.  With my time as Artist in Residence quickly slipping away, I'm trying to kick it into gear and get things done!

I spent one day working on the book while having a cartoon movie marathon (thanks to the library!).  I watched "An American Tail" first - I haven't seen that movie in years!!  Fievel is so adorable, and the song "Somewhere Out There" brought back so many memories of my younger years!  We sang that song all the time.  I had forgotten how tender the ending is, too!  I got all sorts of misty-eyed!  

Next on the agenda was "Kiki's Delivery Service," one of Miyazaki's films I hadn't yet seen.  There were two DVDs in the box, one with the movie, and one with the movie done in storyboards only.  The disc with the movie wasn't working, so I ended up watching the storyboard version!  It seemed appropriate.  It did make me really want to see the colors of the movie, though, so I'll have to borrow it from my sister sometime.  


Finally, I watched "Sleeping Beauty."  My brother is not a very big fan of that movie, since my sisters and I watched it incessantly when we were kids!!  It's just such a fun movie, with great songs.  The prince's singing voice is like delicious melted milk chocolate...why doesn't he sing more?!

I didn't mean for this to become movie review time...but it's fun to watch cartoons!  Made me feel like a kid again, which is maybe also why I was able to be so creative!

Speaking of creativity, I was finally able to work on a violin project I'd been meaning to do.  A woman stopped by my studio a couple of months ago and asked me if I'd take an old, beat-up violin and turn it into art to be auctioned off for a fundraiser for the local Fiddlers Philharmonic group.  I like the way it turned out!  I still might add something to it, but like it as it is, too.  I used my metal letter stamps to stamp part of the poem "The Weary Blues" by Langston Hughes onto it - they are echoing through his head...!  


Speaking of progress and music, I've noticed lately that my ukulele playing has improved greatly as well.  It might have something to do with the fact that I'm actually practicing every day...  We've had my grandfather's uke hanging around the house all of my life, and it's nice to finally be carrying on the tradition! I brought it in to Two Twelve on Wednesday to accompany us singing "Happy Birthday" to Margie, our fearless leader! We also had these cupcakes that look like her adorable dog, Molly. 


In other news, I finally got my sign up in the studio window!  Yay!  Just in time for all of the traffic heading down Michigan Avenue for the race on Sunday at Michigan International Speedway.  This weekend is always a bit of a pain for us locals - all of the traffic heading west now, then back east to the expressway starting on Monday.  They change the timing on the traffic lights so the traffic on Michigan Ave can get through easier, which is a pain for getting from one side to the other!  There was a couple sitting at the light when I finished putting up my sign, and they shouted that it looked good.  Ha! 



No comments:

Post a Comment