Monday, May 19, 2014

Week 10: Plein Air Painting

Last week the weather was ALL OVER the place.  On Monday afternoon, my phone made a sound I had no idea it could make and this alert showed up on the screen:

I knew the drill!  I grabbed my laptop, my ukulele (for entertainment during the wait), some flashlights, and headed to the basement.  I went back up a little while later to grab something, and where do I see my neighbors?  Outside, chatting about the oncoming storm.  From what the DJs were saying on the radio, the storm was north and south of us, but it still cracked me up to see that sight:


Thankfully the storm passed us by unscathed, and we had some really beautiful weather parts of the week.  

On Wednesday, I headed to one of my favorite places: Mill Pond Park.  It's a really beautiful park, with two small rivers coming together into a larger one.  Two years ago they built a new bridge across one of the smaller rivers to the "island" (a peninsula, but looks like an island), and put nice stones along the edge of the river near the bridge.  It's the perfect place to sit, stick your feet in the water, and paint "en plein air!"  



I spent a couple of hours there, did a couple of quick, sketchy paintings (see above), soaked in some sun, and did some planning for the upcoming Saline Celtic Festival in July.  I'm one of the organizers, in charge of the "Wee Folks Island," and like to do some new things each year.  I'm excited about my new plans!  (No spoilers...yet!)

Here are a few more pictures from my afternoon at the park:

A panoramic view of the other side of the bridge/river

Beautiful skies!!

Stormy skies moved in, sending me home! Just as I got in the car,
the rain started! After Monday's weather, I took no chances!

Right by the park is my old elementary school, which
they just started to tear down.  Very sad!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment