Friday, May 9, 2014

Week 9: The Show Is Up and Bagpipes are Piping!

This week has been...odd!  But good.  I got my show at the cafe hung on Monday with the help of 212's Meghan Canavan, and I think it looks good!  Keith McGuire, our graphic designer, made this awesome, old-timey-looking poster for the show, and I love it!


Once the show was up, it was back to business as usual...ish.  My studio-mate had lots of photo shoots this week in the studio, so I vacated a few times (thankfully she's awesome and tries to schedule shoots when it's convenient for me - so nice!); I had lots of things to do outside the studio (dentist, catching up on things I'd left undone while prepping for the show, etc), and I got sick (a cold), so the week was a little jumbled and I felt like not much studio-type work got done.  But lots of other stuff did!!  

On a rather unrelated note, it was a beautiful morning here in Saline, and we had all of the windows and doors open at Two Twelve to let the fresh air in.  We're right across from a beautiful cemetery, and there was a funeral there later in the morning, up on the hill, complete with a bagpiper.  I can't tell you what bagpipe music, especially in person, does to me!  It's like some sort of magic flute that lulls me into a state of peaceful contemplation.  I love it!  My grandfather came from Scotland, and I grew up going to the Alma, Michigan Scottish Festival each spring, and having my dad play tapes and CDs of bagpipe music around the house, so it's in my blood.  Plus, Saline's Sister City is Brecon, Wales, and each year we hold a Celtic Festival, for which I am one of the organizers.  I get a full dose of bagpipes every summer, and I love every minute of it!  

Since I know some people aren't big bagpipe fans, I'll just include two very short videos I took at the Scottish Festival last year - it doesn't compare to the 200+ member massed pipe bands that take the field there each year, but it's still music to my soul!




No comments:

Post a Comment