Friday, May 23, 2014

Week 11: Hodge Podge

This week has been very diverse, creatively speaking. It's also felt strangely backwards. Earlier in the week it felt like Thursday or Friday, and yet today doesn't feel like Friday at all for some reason. Plus the whole week has felt like two! I'm so confused... 

Lots of good things have happened this week, though. Monday I went back to Mill Pond Park, this time to do some plein air drawing. It was too gorgeous a day to spend in the studio! My dream is to one day have a studio that has a nice porch or balcony or easily accessible outdoor space for lots of plein air art! I love working outside. Tough when it's windy, but otherwise so nice. I'm not really a landscape painter, I just like being outdoors!! (Though right now I'm in the studio listening to the pitter patter of ...a leak from one of the apartments upstairs. Lovely.) 

Tuesday one of my private students and I were working on drawing portraits (we've graduating from drawing Skully), and I have a bunch of photos from magazines, so we drooled over...er, drew...Benedict Cumberbatch. It made me realize how out of practice I am with portrait drawing! I'll need to get back into the sketch book!! I'll share what I drew, even though it's very flawed. At least it looks something like him!? 


Tuesday evening Skully and I took a drive up to Lansing (the Capitol of the great state of Michigan!) to meet up with some friends of mine who live on the west side of the state. It was great to see them and spend an evening talking and catching up! Skully stayed in the car, naturally, but we snapped a photo in front after. Some of my friends on Instagram are worried about me, I think. I assured them Skully was plastic, but that didn't seem to help. Philistines. ;)


Wednesday morning I took a Steampunk jewelry class at 212, and it was SO FUN!! Kelsey, the teacher, has the coolest stuff, and knows how to make anything work. Here's my creation - the clock hands, propellor, and gear all move!! I love it so much. You should all come take her next class! 


The last two days I've been in the studio drawing the main character of our book, Tom, over and over and over. I'm having fun playing around with facial expressions... 


I have a really hard time with the idea of drawing the same thing over and over. It's not in my nature! But I'm learning to adapt to it and make it a part of what I do. It's excellent practice. I want to be comfortable with these characters before I dive into the nitty gritty. Better to change something now than when I'm halfway through the illustrations!! 

Ok, back to work. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend! I'm very excited for some bagpipes, men in kilts, and beach time!! 

Also, a BIG thank you to our women and men in uniform. I am so grateful for the freedoms we have here in the US, and for those who have fought so we can keep them, including my grandfathers and other family members!! The photo below is of my Grandpa Downie & Grandpa Johnson. My Scottish Grandpa Downie, who served with the Queen's Cameron Highlanders in WWI, is in his dress uniform, which included a kilt! My Grandpa Johnson was a Marine and fought in WWII. He also had a sweet ride. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that skully is freaky! I love your sketch of Benedict. I like the many faces of Tom. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I love your steam punk necklace. I know I've already told you this but remember me at Christmas time. :)

    ReplyDelete