Monday, July 28, 2014

Week 20: Vacation!

Last week I went with some of my family on our annual trip "Up North" in Michigan to my favorite place, Ludington.  Ludington is on the west coast of Michigan, right on Lake Michigan, and is a really fun and beautiful town.  My family has been vacationing there since I was around seven years old, and it's a tradition that we love to keep!

My maternal grandfather spent his teen years in Ludington while his father worked for the CCCs helping to build the beautiful beach house at Ludington State Park.  As a result, when he was grown with kids of his own, my grandpa took my mom and her siblings to Ludington for a few visits, and my mom and her sister took up the tradition as adults as well.  We rent a cabin north of Ludington on Hamlin Lake, which is connected to Lake Michigan by the Au Sable River.  It's heaven on earth there, my friends!

I spent the week sleeping, sitting on the front porch reading, laying on the beach reading, laying in the hammock reading, hiking (too hard to read and hike), swimming in the pool with my nieces and nephew (also a difficult place to read), eating ice cream, playing games (charades, Yahtzee!, Cabby, Golf - the card game), kayaking, sitting by a campfire, eating s'mores, playing shuffleboard, walking out to the Ludington Lighthouse, watching sunsets...  Heaven.  Here are some photos from the week:


Kayaking with my nieces & nephew & sis
My favorite flavor ice cream at House of
Flavors (best ice cream place) - Eskimo Kisses 
On a sunset beat ride with my Aunt, Uncle, and Fam
(pictured with my nieces)
My lone peanut - on my last leg playing Cabby!
Big waves!! (...Come at a cost...high winds...) 
My nephew hiding from the wind with me on the beach
Changing of the flags from yellow to red....
A bit of a crazy day at the beach!
Skyline Trail at Ludington State Park
More ice cream...
"What?" :D
Carved on a tree on one of the State Park trails
Our favorite tree on the trails -
perfect sitting spot for a rest!
View on the State Park trails - gorgeous!!
S'mores + campfire + ghost stories = magical!
(My uncle's friend tells the best ghost stories!!!)
Hanging in my sister's hammock and
comfortable with my favorite view!
The view from the front porch
of our cabin
My uncle and cousin got some lanterns
that we released one night - it was pretty!
Swimmin' in the pool
(doesn't it look so refreshing?!) 
Sunset on Lake Michigan near the lighthouse

Can you tell why this is my favorite week of the year??  It relaxes me and brings me great peace.  It renews me!  I feel ready for what comes next after spending time there.  Sigh.  I miss it already!

Now it's back to work!!  Six more weeks...

1 comment:

  1. No one in my 68 years has ever told me a ghost story. Will you tell me one some day?

    ReplyDelete