Friday, April 11, 2014

Week 5: Spring Break!

I have an aunt and uncle who are going to be moving back to Northern Michigan soon, after living for the last several years in Georgia. They were in town this week looking for houses and commented that everyone in Michigan keeps talking about the weather, not just to make small talk, but because we all really want to talk about the weather!! It was so horrific for so long (stupid Polar Vortex) that no one can believe it's finally nice!!!! We all are also running around in 50 degree weather in shorts and t-shirts, which is not considered warm in the south. 

On Wednesday I took a little field trip to check out another of my favorite places in the area - Curtiss Park. It's connected to Mill Pond Park by the Saline River, which flows through both. Curtiss Park has a couple of small waterfalls, which block out the sound from Michigan Ave, which is nice!!  The children's book takes place outdoors near water, so I took some "research photos" while I was there. :)

As I sat there on Wednesday, the sun on my face, a fresh breeze blowing across my face, I got teary-eyed. It's here!!! Spring is finally really here!!! I know I said in my second post on here that it was, but that was hope and desperation speaking. And I know snow in April is not unheard of, but I don't care. The grass is turning green, the air is fresh and sweet, tulips and daffodils are peeking up through the damp earth, and the temps stay consistently above freezing. I seriously can't believe it sometimes. I don't know if I can explain how for real I am when I say that!! This winter was so awful and never ending!!! Or so it felt. 

The schools in the area are on spring break, which means 212 was closed, so I spent most of my time in the studio. I spent a ridiculous amount of time doing my best Pointillism impression on one painting, only to have it not turn out how I wanted it!! I think I've fixed it, but it's still not quite where I want it. 

I also met with my brother to go over the layout and a few aspects of the Tom story. It was good to have him in the studio so I could show him what I was thinking and make sure we were thinking the same things. I'm excited to keep moving forward on this project! The layout's mostly ready - I'll share some of that next week and the process I'm going through to get there. 

Here are a few photos from the park - you can find them on my Instagram page, too (link to the right)! Happy Spring!






1 comment:

  1. Great photos. And I feel your tears for the birth of spring. I too did doubt that it would happen. What a joy not to huddle up against that wicked biting wind and cold. Now I must say the cauldron holes on my street are quite remarkable. I may not have a car left if someone doesn't fix them. But other than that, hallelujah spring!

    ReplyDelete