Monday, March 10, 2014

At Last, Here Comes the Sun!

I woke up this morning and while I was getting ready, I turned on Pandora. The first song to come on? "At Last" by Etta James. AT LAST!!! At last here I am, the first day of my Artist Residency with Two Twelve Arts Center (hereafter "212"). It was perfect. 

The second song? "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles. With the temps climbing into the 40s for the first time in months and months, it fit!! A perfect second song on this, the first day of the rest of my life!!! (Thought I'd add a little melodrama to get things moving here...) 

I'm going to try to keep up with this blog so you can follow me on my artistic journey over the next six months (and after), and wanted to start right on day one. I even downloaded the Blogger app so I can blog on the go!! 

My first day has been spent organizing my art supplies, moving them to the studio, setting things up, filling out paperwork, etc. Since the studio is right on Michigan Ave, the front windows were a mess, so I spent some time washing them. (Which I didn't mind, since it's so nice out!!) Now I'm organizing my watercolor paints to see what I need to order. It's non-stop excitement! 

This morning I had breakfast with Margie Bovee, the director of 212, and we're both so excited, we just fed off of each other! She has a very catchy enthusiasm and is so full of wonderful ideas-it's great to be around creative people like her and everyone at 212.  

I'll end here with a few photos from the day. I hope you'll keep coming back to see what I'm up to! Later this week I'll give more of an intro to 212, my studio co-habitant, Kat Foley (who's letting me crash in her space!), and to the project on which I'll be focusing during my time here. 

At last, my friends, here comes the sun!!!
Michigan Ave facing west towards the studio
View from the back of the studio looking out
Painting Supplies
Organizing watercolor paint tubes
My table by the window where I'll be spending many hours over the next 6 months!


No comments:

Post a Comment