Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Two Twelve Arts Center

Since I'm going to be talking about Two Twelve Arts Center (212) a lot on this blog, I thought I'd tell you a little about it.  You can find out more about the history of 212 on their website, TwoTwelveArts.org, but here's a basic run-down:

Margie Bovee, who has done more in her life so far than several people put together, moved to Saline in 1995.  After working for a while as a writer and photographer for our local newspaper, the Saline Reporter, she realized that an arts center was needed in the community, and the idea blossomed from there.  As a director of the Cowan Slavin Foundation, a 501 C 3 non-profit corporation, she presented the idea to the board, and the idea passed.  In 2005, they leased a house at 212 Michigan Avenue, and the following spring the first classes were held.  The Arts Center has since moved a few houses down to 216 Michigan Ave, but the classes and amazing creative feel still remains.

One of the great things about 212 is that it's not just classes, it's a local hub for creative people.  The people who work there are some of the most fun and creative people I know, and can take a basic idea and run with it in ways I never would have imagined.  Aside from classes, camps, and workshops, they also have a weekly meeting of artists called Cake Eaters, art challenges, yarn bomb activities (covering tree trunks in knitted yarn) and other fun, local events.

They also have an Artist of the Month series, which allows local artists a venue to show their work, and they do all of the promotional work for you!  I was the showcased artist last fall:



Needless to say, I'm very happy to be a part of this haven.  I got my start here a couple of years ago, after I'd finished grad school and moved back to Saline.  A friend of mine, Val Mann, told me about 212.  She's very involved in the arts community in the Ann Arbor area, and is so encouraging to up-and-coming artists!  (She's also part of the reason I got my first teaching job - a great person to know and a great friend!)  I walked into 212 one day, mentioned that Val had sent me, and everyone's ears perked up and they asked me to sit down.  A few months later I was teaching classes and camps, and have been doing it ever since!  

My new studio space (more on that in another post) is a few blocks down from 212 - seriously, a dream come true!  

My second week momentum is continuing to pick up, so I'll check back in later this week to let you know how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment