Friday, March 28, 2014

Week 3: Studio Time

I really can't believe that I'm already three weeks in!  It's scary how fast time goes.  Especially knowing all that I want to get done in the next six months!  This week I felt like I got a lot done, though.  I was able to spend a LOT of time in the studio, finished the painting from my last post, almost finished another painting, went back and fixed some things on the first painting (I'm too nitpicky, seriously!), and even framed it!  (Thanks, IKEA, for making awesome, inexpensive, square frames.)

I really do love my studio time.  I've missed having a dedicated studio space the last couple of years, and know now that I need to be sure to always have one - it helps keep me on track!  It's so great to have a space away from home to go create.  If I'm home, there will always be other things to distract me, but when I'm in the studio I'm there to work.  I take breaks and from time to time stare out at traffic on Michigan Ave (mesmerizing!), but I've been accomplishing more in the last couple of weeks than I have the last couple of years (painting-wise).  It's fabulous!

One thing that I've been thinking about more and more is keeping a sketchbook.  I have a couple of different sketchbooks I've been working in, and have gone through periods of true dedication and periods of complete forgetting.  I'll goes days or weeks working in my sketchbook every day and then suddenly a month goes by and I've done nothing in it.  I've realized that I see more progress when I do at least something in my sketchbook every day, so I need to get back on track with that.  

OK, a somewhat dull post, but a very good week!  Well, except for my speedometer deciding it didn't want to work anymore last night.  I was going nowhere near 100mph when this photo was taken (slower, not faster!):


2 comments:

  1. I'm SO with you on the sketchbook thing. I always have such good intentions... Turns out I'm much more of a random scrap of paper sketcher, even when a sketchbook is a foot away!
    Keep up the awesome work K$!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's your creative force that's going 100 mph...

    ReplyDelete